Saturday, April 19, 2014

Review of Freckles ~ By Gene Stratton Porter

    

FrecklesRating: 5 Stars





      I loved this book. The characters were all incredibly likable, and I think Freckles has made my list of favorite fictional characters. It was a calm read, but the plot didn't slow and my attention was kept the entire time I was reading it. 
      Freckles (the character) made me laugh. A lot. I was laughing out loud for a good chunk of the book. Of course, other characters, not to mention scenes, were funny, but Freckles has the most. 
      The first time we meet the Swamp Angel, she annoyed me, and I didn't want her to be friends with Freckles. But then she grew on me, and became a very good character. I enjoyed her relationship with Freckles.
      The end of the book was a bit surprising to me, and made it all the better. After finishing it, I can't imagine it ending any other way. I stayed up until 2:00 a.m. to finish this book, when I had plans early the next day, not to mention studying to do. 
      I borrowed this book, and now I'll have to own it. I loved it, and it may even be my favorite classic. Either that or Wuthering Heights, which is funny since they are nothing like each other.
      I got tired of trying to read this book, due to the way the words were printed on the pages, so I listened to a lot of it on audio, using my computer. I believe that it was read by volunteers, so a few narrators I wasn't fond of. But I got used to it. The narrators did change almost every chapter. If you want to listen to it, because you absolutely can't stand to wait (Which I don't blame you for),here is the link. They are linked chapter by chapter. 

https://librivox.org/freckles-by-gene-stratton-porter/

Read it. You won't regret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment